- First-time homebuyer
- Land Loans
- Construction Loans
- Investment & Seasonal loans
Experience stress-free financing with GSB’s fixed-rate mortgage. Say goodbye to fluctuating interest rates and hello to consistent monthly payments for the life of your loan.
An adjustable-rate mortgage allows you to take advantage of lower interest rates. This means you can enjoy a lower monthly mortgage payment during the early term of your loan. While the rate will vary depending on changes in the index, it’s limited to a certain percentage each year and over the life of the loan, protecting you from sharp index swings.
Buying a home for the first time is exciting, and we want to help make it as stress-free as possible. Our First-Time Homebuyer Program helps new homebuyers, or those who haven’t owned a home in the last three years, lower their costs by offering lower down payment requirements and an above average mortgage rate discount.
A land loan helps pave the way for your future home. Finance the perfect piece of property while you set up the details for building, like getting the right permits and finding an architect to work with. With a land loan from GSB, you can establish the foundation for your dream home and truly personalize your ideal living space.
Save time and money while building the home you’ve always wanted. Our award-winning construction loans give you the finances and flexibility needed to bring your home’s vision to life. Key benefits include:
- One closing that covers both the construction and permanent financing.
- Loan amount of up to 80% of appraised value, or cost of land plus improvements—whichever is lower.
- Flexible loan disbursement schedule.
- Quick turnaround on inspection requests.
- A 120-day rate lock for Purchase-Upon-Completion loans.
We understand that seasonal and investment properties need intricate financing, whether you’re purchasing a second home or investment property. That’s why we offer customized financial plans to support your unique investments.
- Obtaining money quickly to finance your purchase.
- Benefiting from a mortgage plan tailored to your personal needs.
- Financing your loan with monthly automatic payment options.
Need Help Choosing an Account?
Answer some simple questions and our Product Selector Tool will quickly find your best option.
An easy lending experience with GSB
apply for a mortgage preapproval
A mortgage preapproval helps you understand how much you may be able to borrow to buy a home, makes you more attractive to sellers, and alerts you to problems that may affect your ability to get a loan. Call The GSB Lending Center to get started!
Complete Your Mortgage Application
Find your dream home and complete your mortgage application – available online! A GSB underwriter validates your stated assets and finances, and prepares the Closing Disclosure.
Close On Your New Home
Your attorney manages the closing and signing of all documents.
Congratulations! You now own your new home!
Benefits of Choosing GSB's Community Bank for a Mortgage:
When you want to secure a home loan in Connecticut, it’s vitally important to work with a lender that’s on your side and stays atop market trends. GSB is your team of local Connecticut lending experts, dedicated to getting you to closing with as little stress as possible. When you work directly with GSB for your home loan, you get competitively-low rates, fast & efficient service, flexibility, and the security that 150 years of community-centered banking brings.
Connecticut Mortgage FAQ's:
- Income and employment verification: Lenders will require documents such as pay stubs, tax returns, and employment verification to assess your ability to repay the loan.
- Credit history: A good credit score is usually required, but the specific score needed may vary depending on the lender.
- Debt-to-income ratio: Lenders will analyze your debt-to-income ratio, which is the percentage of your monthly income that goes towards debts. Generally, a lower debt-to-income ratio is preferred.
- Down payment: A down payment is generally required, typically ranging from 3% to 20% of the purchase price. However, the specific amount may depend on the loan type and your financial profile.
A credit score of 620 or higher is usually recommended for a conventional loan. However, some lenders may offer loans to borrowers with lower credit scores, but it may result in higher interest rates or stricter loan terms.
A good down payment for buying a house varies depending on personal financial circumstances and loan programs available. Generally, a down payment of 20% is considered substantial and can help avoid private mortgage insurance (PMI). However, it’s not always required, and down payments as low as 3% or 5% may be possible. It is recommended to consult with lenders or a mortgage advisor to determine the best down payment amount for your situation.
The entire home loan process typically takes around 30 to 45 days, but it may vary depending on various factors like the complexity of the loan, your responsiveness, and the lender’s efficiency. It includes several steps such as pre-approval, house hunting, making an offer, appraisal, finalizing the loan, and closing.
Given to the top 10% of banks nationwide in areas of capital, profitability, and asset quality, GSB has been awarded the Bauer Financial Sustained Superiority Award for 32 consecutive years.
This award recognizes the best providers of professional services as voted on by readers.